Thursday, February 5, 2009

I have something to add to Annoyances in Rome blog

OK, I am living la vita dolce here it's true, but I have a problem. One thing Italy is known for it is shopping, unfortunately I am unable to partake in this joy of shopping here because as I have been told by many a sales person, "one size".

Huh? What do you mean one size? I have picked up probably hundreds of sweaters, shirts, jackets, even pants and tights only to thoroughly inspect them and find no size labels. When I ask the sales person about the size they reply, "one size". Then I ask do you have anything that will fit me? As I am not this "one size" which looks to me to be about a size 6. Sometimes they shake there head no, sometimes they try to convince me that I can squeeze myself into this tiny article of clothing. Yes, I have tried, only to end up feeling retched and repulsive and if i can get it on, then fearful I might have to buy it as I might not be able to get it back off, LOL!! Stupid Italy and their stupid one size!!

Yes, Rome is the home of la figura bella and looking fantastic is a way of life, and but these people are just small, not just around the waist either they are short too, I am 5'6" and I often tower over men and women. I don't usually feel that bad about my size at home but here I feel sad that I can't buy Italian clothes. I am loosing weight with all the walking I do every day, but not that much and not quickly enough to get in on the good sales. =/

3 comments:

Dirkey said...

that totally sucks!!

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Annie - glad to see that you're enjoying yourself! With the clothes thing, I am rather petite, so the shopping was quite easy for me...heh. However, don't know if you've noticed THIS yet, but me and a roomie went and bought underwear while in Rome, and both of us ended up buying undies sized "extra large". We are totally smalls/mediums here at home! I still can't figure out how undies were sized so oddly...but whatever.

BJ Bailey said...

???? How can that be? That's odd.......