Saturday, April 25, 2009

I need a hug



I had a bad day. I suppose after all these wonderful days in and about Rome it was bound to happen.

I got up early to take a day trip to Tivoli to go see Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este. Drug my 2 weeks worth of laundry 6 blocks to the laundry place and but when I got there, there was no one there. I didn't want to drag it back home again, so I left my laundry with a note, said a prayer that no one would steal it (had all my cloths but the ones I was wearing) was one my way to the metro. At the metro I ran into 2 classmates also doing day trips to different destinations. so we got on the Metro and chatted as best we could over the extremely annoying and loudest I've ever experienced gypsy music. The Gypsies are always on the trains begging for money with their limp (I've heard rumor drugged) babies and playing musical instruments. I've often felt sorry for them that they have such a bad rap as a people, to "what out for the gypsies"... Today I should have been watching out.

The 2 men playing the music that was almost deafening were very very close to me on a not too crowded metro, I felt my purse sway, but didn't think anything of it as I'm on a swaying train. Then the music stopped the gypsies were moving on ( thank god) and the one man leans in real close to me and says "thank you for your contribution" as he shows me his begging cup. I was like tsk I'm not contributing.. but I was and I did. The gypsies had relieved me of my wallet. They had opened 3 zippers and a snap and some how gotten my fairly large wallet out of my small purse with out me even noticing. I didn't realize this till I was at the next train station trying to buy my ticket to Tivoli. Thank God for Cece who had missed her connecting train and was still wandering around termini train station. She went with me to 3 different indifferent police officers and then to waste time with me waiting in the police station only to be told that because I have no id on me I could not file a police report, go home get your id and come back, ( huh! yeah right!!) Cece also lent me 2 euro so I could get back home, as I have no idea what I would have done if she had not been there to lend me money and moral support. Actually I would have had to walk home, it's pretty darn far,and I probably would have cried.

So I get home and decide I need a drink, and some lunch (I had planed on eating breakfast at the train station, oh but that didn't happen). The bottle opener broke off in the wine bottle, my last bottle of wine, sighhhh Oh and it get's better...

So I eat a yogart because a "friend" of mine says they will meet me for lunch at 3 near the Spanish Steps which is were I am now heading because I need to get to American Express to cash in some travelers checks since my debit card was stolen with my wallet, I finally get there and it's closed, for the holiday. I didn't know it was a holiday, heck I still don't even know which holiday which explains why no one was at the laundry place. Thank God my clothes were still there (unwashed but still there). So now I have no money till Monday when AMEX opens again. Oh and the friend, never showed up I waited till 3:45pm and cranky, hungry and frustrated I went home. All the Kids leave tomorrow morning and I'm sort of sad to see them go, heck with the day I just had, I'm just sorta sad and need a hug.

4 comments:

dweaver said...

oh NO WAY!!!
you poor thing! I'm just glad they didn't kidnap you and sell you into slavery ( as I've heard they do to pretty blond girls visiting Spain) When I went oh, 25 years ago, they warned us about they gypsies. We were cautious, but same thing, it's like, why are they getting such a bad rap? the nice old ladies would chase you down a cobblestone alley trying to show you their lace tablecloths to buy, but later we were told that they are the distraction, and to watch out for the men or kids who will steal your wallet while you're distracted. I couldn't believe it! They seemed so sweet- but that's the trap.
So gypsies = bad sneaky people.

Dirkey said...

Reaching over to give you the biggest of hugs ( really freakishly long arms) I'll go out to lunch and buy you some wine so we can talk about it. While we're at it don't worry about your laundry I'll take care of it, just sit back with some tea you've had a bad day. (or you can just pretend I did all those things cause thats what I would do if i was there). I'm smacking the next gypsy I see as well, so what for discrimination

Renee said...

(sniff sniff, wiping away a tear)

Awwwhhh I love you guys!
I hate to hate, and I hate to discriminate. I wanna see the good in all people, I just don't understand sometimes...

Jessica said...

Oh no! What a bad day. I lived in Rome for two years and never got pick pocketed, but it's only because I NEVER let my guard down. It's not just gypsies who pick pocket, even people in nice clothes do it too. You can never be too careful with your stuff. I always had the attitude that everyone was out to get me there (another reason why we moved north!). It may seem paranoid, but it's true. One of my friends was sitting at a cafe in a nice neighborhood and had her stuff stolen from her purse while it was tucked between her legs under the table! They can get to anything if you aren't paying attention. Just always be on the look out. It's not the end of the world, but it's a huge hassle!
Also, NEVER leave your clothes anywhere unattended! But I am sure you figured that out by now ;)
ps. It was Italy's liberation yesterday, kinda like their 4th of July.
Feel better!
*hugs*