Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Spanish steps (now) ,St John in Chains and Moses

So yes, we have established I am running out of time here in Rome so I'm trying to take in all the stuff I might not have seen before or re see stuff that I just love.


Colisseum, I love you =)Roman Forum you will be missed =/



Aspe and the relics, "the Chains"

Pope Julius the 2nd's Tomb never finished my Michelangelo, not his fault the pope died and the money ran out and the next pope wanted him to do other things... close up of the Moses. Michelangelo considered this whole project a tradgety the worst thing he ever did. Now I don't know about that, but I was sort of unimpressed, I always pictured it much larger and the original design called for over 60 figures, what's this got 10? eh it was ok, glad I saw it anyway just so I know.

Those crazy catholics and there momento mori 's = symbols of death aka the Skeletons, wouldn't you think looking at a tomb would be reminder of death enough? hahaha. I like them cause they are creepy and I find that funny in church.


What the freak is with all the steps in Europe? Can't wait to get back to Jersey which is nice and flat! But you gotto love the alleys and secret back ways to get places, I'm heading to St. John in Chains Church to check out the Michelangelo's Moses.
Via Del Corso and the big names, Prada, Gucci, Dior just to name a few, all to expensive for me =(
Spanish steps all decked out and full of people, way different looking compared to January.

1 comment:

dweaver said...

wow! the Spanish Steps are sooo beautiful! Do you know what kind of plant those flowers are? I also love the decorative gates too- unbelievable how talented the craftsmen were and it seems like there were so many- all making those cathedrals and churches and gates and statues etc. Was it because they had nothing else to do but learn this trade?
And I just can't get used to the modern world being so close to the ancient... the ruins? with streets and street lights and RIGHT THERE... I don't like it....not one bit... there should be a 100 yard perimeter around it or something...