Friday, January 16, 2009

Death closes the gates of time, and opens those of eternity - The Crypt of the Capuchins



NEVER , I mean never have I seen anything like this. Some may say it is creepy, scary, or gross. I am not even sure if I can find the words to explain how I felt about it. I thought it was awesome, and beautiful and something I will never forget. You may think I'm a bit twisted but I don't care. The 0ver 4000 monks who dedicated their remains to their church and those who have assembled them had a message to send us all. There was a quote at the end which I wish I had written down which went something like this..As you are now we once were.. As we are now you will be.. ( it was actually longer, but I just don't remember it all.)
What I got from the quote was life is short, you can't take material possessions with you, leave something behind to inspire and beautify the world in your own way.







"All praise be yours, my Lord,
for Sister Death,
from whose embrace no mortal can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Happy those She finds doing
your most holy will:
by you, Most High, they will be crowned".
(St Francis of Assisi).

1 comment:

BJ Bailey said...

Bones and skulls? That does look a little creepy.