Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My journey to Roma





January 11,2009

The journey to Rome from Philadelphia was not bad. A 7 hour flight took me to London and then after a 2.5 hour layover, another 2 hour flight took me to Rome.

Leaving the airport was a cross between a little scary and little weird. I didn’t go through customs and sure hope I didn’t have to because I never found it and next thing you know I was outside being harassed by drivers all wanting to be my taxi. I was firm said NO to all and they backed off. I went to the shuttle service that I had previously contacted and told them who I was and that I needed a ride and right away they started to give me a hard time about the price. I had already negotiated a price of 40 euros with them by email. Now when they asked if I had been given price already I stated yes, 30 euro (I lied because I could tell they were creepy jerks who were going to mess with me.)(plus it was only 20 euro per temple to go to the residence which if a bit farther) So then they tell me I must wait for more people to come on the shuttle or it will be 60 euro and wait for 15 minute to an hour. So I got my back up and told them 30 max or I go with someone else and he yells at me that it is what it is, we argue like true Italians (LOL), but for some reason I feel strong and confident and am not bothered by this (at home I might have cried,LOL). The taxi business is very competitive at the airport and the man arguing with me guards me from hundreds of other very aggressive taxi drivers like a pitbull guarding a bone, it was sorta funny. Finally he says to come with him and he takes my cart with all my bags and takes off speed walking I had to practically jog to keep up with him. As we run I state my price is 30 euro and he snips- yes ( yippy!! I won, LOL!!).As I trot after him I imagine this guy might be stealing all my stuff, so I grab the handle of my cart as we round the corner outside and he looks at me funny (annoyed) and I just say I don’t wanna loose you and laugh nervously. (note to self= don't do that, they don't do that here)

I get in the mini van in the front seat and a young European couple on holiday gets in the back. My first experience in Italian driving, OMG do they drive crazy, everyone speeds, rides the bumpers and drives all over the road, lines mean nothing and traffic lights are truly only looking like a suggestion. So the rude dude drops me off and I tell him I am worried cause I was unable to reach my landlord by phone and he presses the doorbell and when I look up he is already back in the van and speeding away. So I’m like crap!! I’m on this yucky street with these insanely heavy bags, luckily I ring the buzzer again and my Landlord Aurora answers and comes to let me right in. This lady is so sweet and friendly, just a real dear she helps me in with my crazy heavy bags that don’t even fit through the doors, shows me my lovely apartment which is smaller than what she had stated but I already expected that and it’s not too small and it’s sorta really cute, so I’m happy. My only concern is the super teeny tiny shower which looks to be about 2 feet by 2 feet and the door slides over to let you enter it through a 12 inch opening!! UHhh hmmm that should be interesting, yipes//

So after I rest for about 15 minutes my landlord, who lives right across the hall, sits me down to talk with me about Rome and goes over a map and then we go out for a walk. She walks me around so I can find my way to important things like the mercato and just one block away and I can see St Peters dome. She shows me the empty mercato, restaurants, cafes, bars, and such then I look up and we are there, I’m at the Vatican!!!!! Holy crap!! I was so over whelmed by it all I almost cried. I was standing in St. Peter’s square staring up at the 100 foot Christmas tree and life sized nativity scene the same one I used as a picture on some of the Christmas cards I sent out. I am truly in awe and crazy happy and proud of myself for setting this goal to go school in Rome.

Sorry the pics are so lousy and dark, I was too tired and over whelmed to photograph more carefully, yes I look like crap here and my landlord is much prettier in person, it was a very long day for both of us and you can see it on our faces.




3 comments:

Mary said...

I am so proud of you!!!! And very very jealous!!

dweaver said...

WOW!!! I'm one degree of separation from being in Rome!

I am soooo happy you made it there ok with minimal confrontation = ) NOW WATCH OUT ROMA!! RENEE IS IN TOWN!

Renee said...

I love you guys!!!
Seriously thanks for your support it means so much to me =)